Tuesday 24 April 2012

Book Review: Dark Peril

Book Title: Dark Peril
Author: Christine Feehan
Publisher:Berkeley Books New York
Cost:$25.95
Pages: 342
How I got it:  Library
My Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis:
Dominic, of the Dragonseeker lineage—one of the most powerful of the Carpathian lines—is desperate to go to the very heart of the enemy camp and learn their plans.  There’s only one way to do so: ingest the parasitic blood of a vampire.  He knows that it is a mission from which there is no return. With little time before the blood takes effect, he’ll get the information he needs, relay it to the leader of the Carpathians, and go out fighting.  There is no more honorable way to end his life.Solange Sangria is one of the last of the jaguar people, a royal pureblood, a dying species that cannot recover from bad decisions made over hundreds of years. She has long been alone, fighting to save the remaining shapeshifters from the hands of Brodrick the Terrible: her own father, who slaughtered her family and everyone she loved.  Wounded and weary, she plans one last battle, hoping to stop the man who has made an alliance with the vampires, accepting that she will not come out alive.They are two warriors who have lived their lives alone.  Now, at the end of their time, they find each other—an obstacle neither can ignore
My Review:
I so have to stop skipping around in this series, I really mean it this time. Omgosh I'm so sorry I read Dark Predator before I read this one; it doesn't excuse all of Zacarius' behaviour but it certainly explained it way better than Dark Predator did. Here we see the full scene of how very close he came to turning, how close he came to losing his lifemate and his honor all in one fell swoop.

Okay moving on to Dominic and Solange, I read a review before I picked this book up who couldn't understand why Solange who was supposed to be such a hard ass fell so 'quickly' umm did you read the same book i did?? Because it says right there in the book, in the first few chapters.  This is one of the few books, where the action was secondary to the relationship being formed and I believe that for these two characters it was necessary.

This is Dominic's story and I was in love right from the start, because I had read other story lines with him and he was a captivating figure who was seeking always seeking to know what happened to his sister. That kind of devotion endeared him to me from the start. Solange was a character we met before in the story of Riodarn and her cousin, it was lovely to see her again and learn her story. OMGosh her story is so painful, how can a man who should be King who should be the one looking to save his people be the one to tear them apart.  Dragonseeker Clan seems to be the Clan every Carpathian should want to be from, because no one in their Clan has ever turned vampire, which is why their plan worked so well.

Dominic and Solange are two people who have chosen suicide missions so their people can thrive, survive and live past what their enemies have planned. Dominic has done something none other has ever done, he has gone into the enemies lair in an attempt to learn all he can and take out as many as he can before he leaves this world for the next, and it is in this hour of need of desperation that he meets his lifemate.  For years he has sought her and never once has he met her, finally at the end of his journey the only comfort he has is the woman of his dreams Literally. He has dreamed of and shared the essence of who he is with this woman for years, seeking and offering comfort when their respective battles have become too hard.

I LOVED Dominic and Solange together, I loved everything about Dominc and his struggle to do what was necessary for his King while honouring the treasure that is his lifemate. Once he realised she existed he lived with the hope that there was someone or something great in the world that was just for him. Solange, a battle weary Jaguar, the last of the royal line is faced with the extinction of her people, she fights not for herself but for the countless women she stands for the women of the Jaguar race, whether they can shift or not, she fights to save them from those who seek to use and abuse them. Poor Solange has faced so much death and has been shaped into something she never should have been, yet she willingly takes up the cause.  And here is her reward, a man who loves both the woman and the Jaguar as well as the warrior, a man who respected her and was willing to wait until she was comfortable giving up control to him, submitting, allowing him close, a man worthy of her love.  Solange is a woman used to abuse and Dominic had to make her see that not all men where like that, her had to gain her trust, this took time, which made the book longer than most.

I personally loved the action (what was there) the romance, the building of a relationship (including how they learnt to fight together) and the full reveal of the extent the vampires are willing to go to bring down the Carpathians.  Dominic Dragonseeker is one of the more amazing and alluring characters she has written, with Solange as a perfect counterpart to him.  I loved having Josef mentioned again, personally I would love for him to be Skylar's lifemate, but apparently she belongs to someone else.hmmm I want to read the book that lets everyone know that because I haven't seen that tidbit yet.

I still have seven books left in the series, which will unfortunately bouncing around the Carpathian world going backwards and forwards, but I am enjoying a few of the stories and this one is going on the fave list, I will get a copy for myself that's how much I actually enjoyed it.


2 comments:

  1. I really need to read this series, as it sounds awesome! Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome I do hope you enjoy them, just make sure to read them in order. LOL

      Delete

I love my readers, and your comments help me to know how you feel, so please share.
Thank You and Goddess Bless.