Saturday 21 April 2012

Book Review: Undomestic Goddess

Book Title: Undomestic Goddess
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: Dial Press
Cost:$23.00
Pages: 374
How I got it: Library
My Rating: ★☆☆☆☆
Synopsis:
Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She’s made a mistake so huge, it’ll wreck any chance of a partnership.

Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she’s mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they’ve hired a lawyer–and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can’t sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the #@%# ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope–and finds love–is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake.

But will her old life ever catch up with her? And if it does…will she want it back? 
My Review:
I HATED this book, yes, ladies and gents you have finally heard me say it. I feel bad for the goodreads followers because I kept updating them about the book progress and how much I disliked Samantha less than half way into the first chapter.  I have very rarely hated characters, mostly I will put the book aside then go back to it when I am in a better mood, but this time I disliked this character from jump.  The premise sounded fun, until you realised she's a coward and a liar. In everything she does.

Before the big 'mistake' there is her hint that she knows nothing about being domestic, heck she didn't even know how to work a vacuum cleaner.  Let me tell you when exactly I hated Samantha, she makes a comment on page 37-38 where she makes the comment that it's not 'feminist' to be domestically inclined because the next door neighbour asks her why she didn't sew on the button on her shirt.  Bitch?!?!?!!! Just because your incompetent doesn't make it un~feminist to know how to cook, clean or freaking feed yourself. That's when I started to despise the character.

Let's start out with what starts the problem, she makes a mistake at her high profile corporate law position and she freaks out when she learns the bottom has fallen out and she has cost her company fifty million dollars.  Now I will say that would freak me the hell out too. I might pass out, but I will not in anyway shape or form just run away, not only run away but instead of coming back to the office to work it out and fix the problem she hides from her boss, jumps on a train and runs away.

Then she goes to someones house for some help and there she gets mistaken for a housekeeper, it happens people make assumptions, which she NEVER tried to set right, especially when she realised that they weren't going to hire her at all.  This is where the lying starts and it just keeps rolling on from there. Page after page of her lying to her employers; she gets help lying from the gardener who's mom helps her learn to cook.  Even when the reporters showed up on her doorstep, she lied to her employers on page 315, the house is on fire but she still stands there pretending it's just warm.

She has nothing that makes her a great female character, she hides from her problems, then lies, then hides from the outfall of the 'mistake' she doesn't try to clear her name, she doesn't take responsibilities and when she discovers that she wasn't responsible she doesn't take action, she goes to another person to fix the problem. YOU are the top of your class and you have no friends in high places?? Seven years in the business and you have no favours you can call in?? Your Mom is a top profile lawyer and she has all these favour she called in to get you a job and you don't think she may have some friends who would be interested in this??? How about going to the bar association? the UK version of the FTC?? There is no way I can accept that your this smart but so colossally stupid. Just no way.

Because fraud, identity theft, lying to employers, and running away from your problems are the grown up thing to do. I'll admit I had laughs reading this book, but on the whole this book was and is trash. She's supposed to be a genius and a college educated woman who becomes one of the best on the fast track to being partner and she's a f**king moron.  I have four lawyers in my family who range in several different fields of law, and I can personally tell you from visiting their offices several times, there is no way in hell you would make partner if your assistant isn't top shelf, your office is spic and span and your organisational skills are on the top. No one would think you have it together if your desk is a clusterf**k every single day. 

I'm well aware that need for suspended belief is what make romance novels and fiction books awesome, but there is suspended belief and then there is just sheer stupidity and this character??? Despite what the author kept saying about her 'genius' is an idiot at best. You literally needed to remove your brain for any of this to even be considered worth it.

I thought this sounds awesome she'll find herself and become someone greater but this whole 'new life' is a freaking farce and she's lying to everyone. and NO one finds out?? Who in there right mind makes it through grad school and doesn't know how to make a sandwich??  Her best friend helps cover her butt and even makes her seem (okay i take that back there isn't much my bff(s) and I wouldn't say to cover each other but really though). Trish is an idiot you hire someone and don't do a reference check?? and your letting them in your home?? I'm sorry they are all idiots, this isn't chick lit, it's a moron book that the author expects us to swallow,

Someone is looking at a brochure with your face on it and NO ONE recognises you ??? I freaking call bullshyt.  You go to the place you have worked in for seven years and managed to get inside when your supposed to be banned and not one person freaking recognised you??? And these are supposed to be the best and smartest.

Man I bitched and complained about this book, but because I was so far in I didn't want to not finish it because then it would haunt me and I don't want Samantha haunting me.

I star, and if i could give it less to show how much i hated it I would. I was severally disappointed because I loved "Can you keep a secret" by the author and I expected the same thing here.  I can't in good conscience say anyone should read this at all. Two whole days I won't be getting back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers, and your comments help me to know how you feel, so please share.
Thank You and Goddess Bless.