Tuesday 8 May 2012

Book Review: Promises in Death

Book Title: Promises in Death
Author: JD Robb
Publisher:Putnam & Sons
Cost:$26.95
Pages: 342
How I got it: Borrowed from Library
My Rating: ★★★☆☆
Synopsis:
Amarylis Coltraine may have recently transferred to the New York City police force from Atlanta, but she's been a cop long enough to know how to defend herself against an assailant. When she's taken down just steps away from her apartment, killed with her own weapon, for Eve the victim isn't just "one of us."
Dallas' friend, Chief Medical Examiner Morris, and Coltraine had started a serious relationship, and from all accounts the two were headed for a happy future together. But someone has put an end to all that. After breaking the news to Morris, Eve starts questioning everyone from Coltraine's squad, informants, and neighbors, while Eve's husband, Roarke, digs into computer data on Coltraine's life back in Atlanta. To their shock, they discover a connection between this case and their own painful, shadowy pasts.
The truth will need to be uncovered one layer at a time, starting with the box that arrives at Cop Central addressed to Eve containing Coltraine's guns, badge, and a note from her killer: "You can have them back. Maybe someday soon, I'll be sending yours to somebody else."
But Eve Dallas doesn't take too kindly to personal threats, and she is going to break this case, whatever it takes. And that's a promise.
My Review:
I'm remembering now why Eve and I parted ways. It's not as bad in this book as in the other book, but it's still there. I keep saying I'm going to do a series post and I have it mostly written up it will be up on Saturday.

As for this book, it's okay. The mystery is good, it takes a while to figure out who did it and even their motivation.  I enjoyed working up to that, the learning of who, and why. I however found this book to be Eve's most hypocritical book. Sometimes she works my nerves with her self righteousness and know it all attitude, but this time?? It just hit a few wrong notes for me. This time the cop who is killed has a relationship that is so much like Eve's yet Eve insists that she is a good person and anyone who looks at her was wrong for it. I just wanted to slap her.

I had a few laughs especially when Roarke discusses her new ride, but I'm beginning to get tired of the same rerun with Eve that happens in every single book.  You can't freaking tell me that at this age in your life you don't how to cut loose, let go and unwind.  Why is ok for her to be abusive in her position as a cop but when another cop does it (I'm not saying either of them should be doing it, but it's highly hypocritical) he's a "prick" (Eve's words not mine). I get that the story needs Roarke to be a genius, but you can't tell me that an entire department of young and fresh e-geeks who do this thing daily and their Captain aren't as good as Roarke is on the computer. Why does she insist on bringing him in on EVERY case?? Why has Capt Whitney not called BS on the 'expert consultant' gig??

Why are these women her friends?? In one scene she makes fun of the fact that all these 'smart women' yet it's the street kid turned mom who figured out who the killer was.  I'm really beginning to feel like Eve doesn't like other women, especially women who are confident or even okay with sex, or anything 'girlie' and feminine. I get that her life was hard when she was little, I get where she is coming from, but after a while the excuse of your childhood can only go so far. I need for Eve to freaking EVOLVE already and stop using that as an excuse to be a all around bitch.

The story also had some great side stories including the advancement of the Louis/Charles story line; we got to see Mavis and the new baby, and see Dr.Myra unwind and have fun at the party.  I enjoyed this story, I more enjoyed the scenes without Eve as the focus, I would recommend this book if your reading the series, otherwise, I don't honestly know, this isn't a bad book or even close to being bad, I'm just tired of Eve's refrain and the fact that none of her friends or the people who love her haven't called her on her BS yet.  It's okay, maybe it's annoying to me because I have read the latest book and know that she has evolved somewhat and I just want to get there and figure out what happened to bring the changes between this Eve and the Eve in Celebrity in Death.

Either way, Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers, and your comments help me to know how you feel, so please share.
Thank You and Goddess Bless.