Tuesday 1 May 2012

Book Review: A Teaching Handbook for Wiccans & Pagans

Book Title: A Teaching Handbook for Wiccans & Pagans
Author: Thea Sabin
Publisher: Llewellyn Publishing
Cost: $16.95
Pages: 312
How I got it: ARC due out May 8,2012
My Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis: As the Pagan/Wiccan community grows, so does the need for teachers-and Pagans who have never before taught are stepping up. For those who want to share their knowledge, teaching can be a very empowering experience. But practicing a spiritual path and teaching it are two very different things.
This timely guide by popular Wiccan author and teacher Thea Sabin presents clear and effective techniques for creating a curriculum (including sample syllabi), teaching methods for adult learners, and instruction on group dynamics. Sabin reveals how to find and screen students, give great presentations, and set up effective online classes. Also featured are interviews and advice from several respected Pagan teachers. ~ from NetGalley's Press Kit
My Review:
I liked this book. It was well researched, very well written and laid out in a way that made it easy for the reader to go back and forth as they needed to. Thea made creating a syllabus easy for those who aren't trained as teachers.  There were enough stories from new and old pagan teachers that highlighted each point, I particularly liked reading Chris Penzack's quotes, he was very funny.

Even though I may not wish to become a teacher, I believe this book will make it easier for those who choose this path. Thea made you look deep within for not just what you wished to impart to your students but what you wished they would learn ( which yes, it's very different). The author pushed the reader to truly examine why they wished to teach, what were the true goals of becoming a teacher. She even tackled the sticky subject of charging or not charging for teaching. She imparted much information about how to control your class, control your message and control your image.

I particularly loved that there were so many different styles of teaching talked about as well as how to work with different and sometimes difficult students.  She highlighted how to network and create a class, how to research and find good students (basically students who fit with you and your teaching style); she even covers legalities of teaching, of space rental and what happens if you teach from home. Online teaching is also covered, I must say that as a student I never really thought about how much goes into the teacher getting to stand in front of the class, but now I have a little more respect for the ones who are willing to throw themselves up there and actually impart some serious knowledge.
If your belief is that teaching is for you, I would highly recommend this book as a resource. If you wish to know more about teaching then this book is also for you.  I will be adding this to my collection.

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers, and your comments help me to know how you feel, so please share.
Thank You and Goddess Bless.