Tuesday 24 July 2012

Book Review: Dark Celebration


Book Title: Dark Celebration
Author: Christine Feehan
Publisher: Jove Novel
Cost: $7.99
Pages: 298
How I got it: PaperBackswap
My Rating:★★★☆☆
Synopsis:
After centuries as the prince of the Carpathians, Mikhail Dubrinsky fears he can't protect his people for long from their greatest threat: the extinction of their species at the hands of their immortal enemies--who are devising a scheme to slaughter Carpathian females. But even with his own lifemate, Raven, and their daughter, Savannah, vulnerable to the encroaching evil, Mikhail's hope is not lost.
My Review:
This is the reunion book of the series, it's the first time in the series that all the major characters are together, it also includes the start of Skyler's story with Dimitri that everyone ahs been talking about.  It's a pretty amazing to read the follow up to everyone's story and fo course see the beginning of MaryAnn's story (FINALLY a Black character in this series).  Mikhail is trying to bring the ravaged pieces of his people back together by having them embrace the celebrations of their human counterparts.  It's a chance for the Carpathian men to gather and meet all that they are risking their lives for: their Prince, their people  & to see the hope of those who have found their mates.  The awakening Ancients also get a chance to swear alligiance to Mikhail.

Personally I thought it was stupid of them to be 'cooking' when they can't really eat it anyway, just a waste of resources. Most of the story if seen through the eyes of Mikhail as he travels to each of the couples, then they pick up the story and go from there sharing and following up on things that have happened since their stories.  The weaving of the different stories together was pretty amazing.

I did however a few things that grated the nerves:
1) Mikhail and Gregori's discussion where they stated that the Carpathian Earth Healer walked with her head unbowed, as if women shouldn't be proud as well.
2) Page 192 " If I had my way,  would choose a time in history when I could simply lock you up, keep you safe and to myself, never share you" ~ Rafael  ~~~Let me just say right now, that's not sexy at all, nope not at all.
3)The deleted scenes, especially the one of Skyler and Dimitri, let me just say, it's one thing if the female  characters are of age and are taking on these millennia old men, it's a whole other thing for it to be Sjyler, who we know is underage and is a survivor of sexual abuse. Give her time to grow the heck up, I mean she does discuss this in the book, they even talk about the fact that she shouldn't have been able to call to his soul until she was of age, and Dimitri talks about how he felt her when she was a child and whenever he tried to find her to help her she hid herself from him, cool I get it, but she's still a child and writing that into the story is just kinda scivvy. If you deleted it because it didn't fit; why put it in. It really just screamed pedophile to me, especially because she states she's too young to be his lifemate, then she is too young to be a sexual being.

Since I have already read Razvan's story before this, I kept feeling bad for him every time they talked down about him because I just wouldn't understand why no one ever thought if Xavier would go to war by killing a mated pair why they didn't didn't think maybe just maybe Razvan was a victim as well?? It was just easier to blame him and have someone they would hate than to really examine their own actions, and what they had done and didn't do that allowed Xavier such free reign for years.

All in all, the book was actually was pretty good. Short compared to the others, but still good.  It was awesome to have a few loose ends tied up in this book, and have new threats pulled that will show us some of the upcoming stories. So far I have loved many of the books and been intrigued by the story of the people of the Carpathian world. I can't wait to read the ones I have missed.
Happy Reading

2 comments:

  1. I love the Carpathian series. While it grates on the nerves to have such old world view of women, its true to her characters so I understand why she puts it in there. It's also true to her characters that men would not wait for a woman to be fully grown once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers, and your comments help me to know how you feel, so please share.
Thank You and Goddess Bless.