Tuesday 11 December 2012

ARC Book review: Jane Eyre Laid Bare

Book Title: Jane Eyre Laid Bare (Goodreads)
Author: Eve Sinclair
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Format: ebook, paperback
Cost: $9.99; 14.99
Pages: 225  
How I got it:  Netgalley
y Rating:★★★☆☆
Erotica Rating: ★★★☆☆ 
Synopsis:
Everyone is familiar with Charlotte Brontë's passionate, but restrained novel in which the plain, yet spirited governess Jane Eyre falls for the arrogant Mr. Rochester. It’s a novel that simmers with sexual tension but never quite reaches the boiling point. Which is to be expected. After all, the original was written in 1847. That was then. This is now. And in JANE EYRE LAID BARE, author Eve Sinclair writes between the lines to chart the smoldering sexual chemistry between the long-suffering governess and her brooding employer. When an eager and curious Jane Eyre arrives at Thornfield Hall her sexual desires are awakened. Who is the enigmatic Rochester and why is she attracted to him? What are the strange, yet captivating noises coming from the attic, and why does the very air she breathes feel heavy with passion? Only one thing is certain. Jane Eyre may have arrived at Thornfield an unfulfilled and tentative woman, but she will leave a very different person…


My Review:

I will preface this by saying I obsessively watch BBC and PBS especially when they are doing the classics, Jane Eyre, Emma & anything Shakespeare being my all time favorites to watch. That being said when I say they were doing a retelling that would have all the eroticism expressed I was ALL for it. Then I read the book and....

Where do I begin??? Well let's just say the premise sounds better than the book actually was. There was a clash of bringing in modern language to go with the original version of the book. Maybe I had too many expectations considering the original is awesomeness wrapped in greatness, but this came no way near that. It kinda felt off somewhat considering so many things. 

I didn't understand why she would feel ashamed when she hasn't been exposed to someone saying she should??? Yet, I don't know, I was mostly confused when reading, I won't lie some of the erotic scenes were pretty good, but otherwise it was just a clash of the classic Jane and this created 'new' version of her. If you haven't read the classic Jane Eyre novel this won't change your view on Jane because they are two different characters, so once I made that decision to just see it as a different Jane then it wasn't so bad actually, however considering it's supposed to be a retelling of the classic it kind of makes it hard to see it as a different story. 

It's not the greatest story but it's still an okay read.  Have you read it??What do you think?? Let me know in the comments section please.  

1 comment:

  1. Love to send you a copy of my book--"Death of a Schoolgirl"--the first in The Jane Eyre Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers, and your comments help me to know how you feel, so please share.
Thank You and Goddess Bless.